- Paperback: 500 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook; 1st edition (June 9, 2020)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1617295280
- ISBN-13: 978-1617295287
Modern Fortran: Building Efficient Parallel Applications
Using Fortran, early and accurate forecasts for hurricanes and other major storms have saved thousands of lives.
Using Fortran, better designs for ships, planes, and automobiles have made travel safer, more efficient, and less expensive than ever before.
Using Fortran, low-level machine learning and deep learning libraries provide incredibly easy, fast, and insightful analysis of massive data for science, business, and industry.
Fortran is an amazingly powerful and flexible programming language that forms the foundation of high performance computing for research, science, and industry. And it’s come a long, long way since starting life on IBM mainframes in 1956. Modern Fortran is natively parallel, so it’s uniquely suited for efficiently handling problems like complex simulations, long-range predictions, and ultra-precise designs. If you’re working on tasks where speed, accuracy, and efficiency matter, it’s time to discover – or re-discover – Fortran.
Fortran is a general-purpose programming language that is dominant in engineering and scientific computing applications. It’s the leading language used in high performance (HPC) and parallel programming. While Fortran is the oldest high-level programming language, it is constantly improving. The most recent major revision of the standard, Fortran 2008, added native support for parallel programming on shared-and distributed-memory architectures, and will be one of few languages used for next-generation exascale HPC applications. Fortran 2018 will include additional parallel features and improve interoperability with C.
A few Fortran facts:
- If you read or listened to the weather forecast this morning, you used Fortran.
- You’ll find Fortran at the lowest levels of most popular data analysis and machine learning frameworks
- Fortran is the reference benchmark language used to measure the performance of the fastest supercomputers in the world (https://top500.org)
- Fortran is the only natively-parallel programming language steered by an International Standards Committee with scientists and engineers as its target audience
- Fortran is the dominant language of the High Performance Computing, spanning industries from applied mathematics, fluid and aerodynamics, to weather, ocean, and climate prediction
Simply put, the future is in parallel, and Fortran is already there.
Modern Fortran: Building Efficient Parallel Applications teaches you how to develop fast, efficient parallel applications with Fortran. To warm up, you’ll start by building a simple application in modern Fortran, with a focus on reusable modules, functions, and subroutines. Next, you’ll dive into Fortran’s unique approach to parallel programming with coarrays. As you work through this practical guide, you’ll systematically explore all the really interesting stuff: how to overload operators and generic functions, work with a variety of different inputs and outputs, and much more. Finally, you’ll take on advanced parallelism with teams and events, interoperability with C, and even publishing your finished app.
- Fortran’s place in the modern world
- Parallel programming from the ground up
- Working with variables and types
- Module development in Fortran
- Interoperating Fortran with C
- Object-oriented and functional programming styles
Packed with practical examples, tasks to practice, cookbook-style recipes, Modern Fortran is guaranteed to make you see this powerful language in a new light.