Metal by Tutorials: Beginning Game Engine Development with Metal, 3rd Edition
- Paperback: 807 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (April 5, 2022)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1950325644
- ISBN-13: 978-1950325641
Metal by Tutorials: Beginning Game Engine Development with Metal, 3rd Edition: Build your own low-level game engine in Metal! Up to date for macOS 12 & iOS 15, Xcode 13 & Swift 5.5
This book introduces you to graphics programming in Metal – Apple’s framework for programming on the GPU. You’ll build your own game engine in Metal where you can create 3D scenes and build your own 3D games.
This book is for intermediate Swift developers interested in learning 3D graphics or gaining a deeper understanding of how game engines work.
Topics Covered in Metal by Tutorials, Third Edition:
- The Rendering Pipeline: Take a deep dive through the graphics pipeline.
- 3D Models: Import 3D models with Model I/O and discover what makes up a 3D model.
- Coordinate Spaces: Learn the math behind 3D rendering.
- Lighting: Make your models look more realistic with simple lighting techniques.
- Shading: Understand how vertex and fragment shaders work.
- Textures & Materials: Design textures and surfaces for micro detail.
- Multipass Rendering: Add shadows with advanced lighting effects.
- Tile-based Deferred Rendering: Take full advantage of your Apple GPU with this rendering technique.
- GPU-Driven Rendering: Move the rendering setup to the GPU.
- Tessellation: Discover how to use tessellation to add a higher level of detail using fewer resources.
- Environment: Add realistic skies and water to your scenes.
- Particle Systems: Learn how to make stunning visual effects using GPU compute shaders.
- Character Animation: Bring your 3D models to life with joints and animation.
- Raytracing: Learn how to perform raytracing on the GPU.
- Advanced Lighting & Shadows: Discover signed distance fields and render beautiful shadows.
- Performance Optimization: Tune up your game with Xcode’s new tools.
After reading this Metal by Tutorials, 3rd Edition book, you’ll be prepared to take full advantage of graphics rendering with the Metal framework.