LLVM Techniques, Tips, and Best Practices Clang and Middle-End Libraries
- Paperback: 370 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (April 22, 2021)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1838824952
- ISBN-13: 978-1838824952
LLVM Techniques, Tips, and Best Practices Clang and Middle-End Libraries: Learn how you can build the next big programming language, compiler, or source code analyzer using LLVM and Clang
Every programmer or engineer, at some point in their career, works with compilers to optimize their applications. Compilers convert a high-level programming language into low-level machine-executable code. LLVM provides the infrastructure, reusable libraries, and tools needed for developers to build their own compilers. With LLVM’s extensive set of tooling, you can effectively generate code for different backends as well as optimize them.
In this LLVM Techniques, Tips, and Best Practices Clang and Middle-End Libraries book, you’ll explore the LLVM compiler infrastructure and understand how to use it to solve different problems. You’ll start by looking at the structure and design philosophy of important components of LLVM and gradually move on to using Clang libraries to build tools that help you analyze high-level source code. As you advance, the book will show you how to process LLVM IR – a powerful way to transform and optimize the source program for various purposes. Equipped with this knowledge, you’ll be able to leverage LLVM and Clang to create a wide range of useful programming language tools, including compilers, interpreters, IDEs, and source code analyzers.
- Find out how LLVM’s build system works and how to reduce the building resource
- Get to grips with running custom testing with LLVM’s LIT framework
- Build different types of plugins and extensions for Clang
- Customize Clang’s toolchain and compiler flags
- Write LLVM passes for the new PassManager
- Discover how to inspect and modify LLVM IR
- Understand how to use LLVM’s profile-guided optimizations (PGO) framework
- Create custom compiler sanitizers
By the end of this LLVM Techniques, Tips, and Best Practices Clang and Middle-End Libraries book, you’ll have developed the skills to create powerful tools using the LLVM framework to overcome different real-world challenges.