Establishing SRE Foundations: A Step-by-Step Guide to Introducing Site Reliability Engineering in Software Delivery Organizations
- Paperback: 560 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (October 8, 2022)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0137424604
- ISBN-13: 978-0137424603
Establishing SRE Foundations: A Step-by-Step Guide to Introducing Site Reliability Engineering in Software Delivery Organizations: Improve Your Service Scalability and Reliability with SRE
Pioneered by Google to create more scalable and reliable large-scale systems, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) has become one of today’s most valuable software innovation opportunities. Establishing SRE Foundations is a concise, practical guide that shows how to drive successful SRE adoption in your own organization. Dr. Vladyslav Ukis presents a step-by-step approach to establishing the right cultural, organizational, and technical process foundations, quickly achieving a “minimum viable SRE” and continually improving from there.
- Understand how SRE works, its role in software operations, and the challenges of SRE transformation
- Assess your organization’s current operations and readiness for SRE transformation
- Achieve organizational buy-in and initiate foundational activities, including SLO definitions, alerting, on-call rotations, incident response, and error budget-based decision-making
- Align organizational structures to support a full SRE transformation
- Measure the progress and success of your SRE initiative
- Sustain and advance your SRE transformation beyond the foundations
Dr. Ukis draws extensively on his own experiences leading an SRE transformation journey at a major healthcare company. Throughout, he answers specific questions that organizations ask about SRE, identifies pitfalls, and shows how to avoid or overcome them. Whatever your role in software development, engineering, or operations, this guide will help you apply SRE to improve what matters most: user and customer experience.